Domain Jean Collet et fils New Releases
Involved in the wine industry since 1792, the Collet family has been firmly rooted in Chablis’ long-standing history. When Jean Collet established the Domaine in 1952, wines were mainly sold in bulk to local négociants. Already two years later he started to bottle wines under his own name. Later, in 1979, his son Gilles joined the family business and the operation was renamed into Domaine Jean Collet et Fils. At this stage, the Estate expanded across 15ha. Now Romain Collet represents the 4th generation of winemakers. He took over the family business in 2009, at the young age of 21, after having honed his skills across France and New Zealand. Today the Domaine covers around 40 ha from Petit Chablis, village and premier cru and grand cru holdings – Romain has converted the entire cru production over to organic farming and intends to increase this ratio to 100% in the coming years.
Nestled in the heart of Chablis, the family-run business successfully combines tradition and modern approaches: While a silent discussion about the use or non-use of oak is heating some minds, the Collet family’s credo is simple. Mindful and intuitive care is taken in vineyards and winery. All parcels, which are located on the best slopes on either side of the Serein river, are being treated separately during vinification and élevage and each wines is being handled according to its unique needs. Older wood barrels are used in their higher end wines while stainless steel keeps minerality and precious in other cuvées. The Vaillons 1er Cru for example sees 1/3 of stainless steel, 1/3 of barrels and the rest is being élevaged in 8hl foudres.
- The soils is composed of alternating layers of very compact and hard chalky limestone as well as softer clay that is embedded with fossilized marine plants and animals. This Chablis AC is produced from vineyards planted on the hillsides, from the villages of Chablis and Préhy.
- This Chablis is wonderfully balanced and very attractive, with a remarkable freshness and minerality – one could say a very ‘classic’ style. Expressive and open with hints of ripe and exotic fruits, introducing sappy, plump and nicely mineral flavours. Well balanced wine, ideal as an aperitif.
2016 Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons
- The soil is composed of alternating layers of very compact and hard chalky limestone as well as softer clay that is embedded with fossilized marine plants and animals. The Premier Cru Vaillons is planted on the left bank of the Serein river, with an excellent South –West exposure.
- Gentle hints ok oak with an intriguing nose of citrus and grapefruit. This wine offers a typical Chablis style of minerality and flinty aromatic nuances. Perfect with all fishes, shellfish as well as with poultry or white meats.
- Drink now or cellar for 3-6 years.